The Powell River Hospice Society
We are a registered charity that provides end-of-life and bereavement support to those in the qathet Regional District, including Tla’Amin First Nation and Texada Island.
A community where all people are accompanied and supported on their end-of-life or bereavement journey.
Powell River Hospice Society provides compassionate support to individuals at the end of their life, to their family and friends, and to those who are grieving in Powell River, qathet Regional District and Tla’amin. We provide community education and advocacy regarding end-of-life issues.
We consider death a natural and meaningful part of life’s journey. The values that guide us are:
We are dedicated to supporting the community with quality end-of-life care. Through our dedication, we honour the people we serve, each other and ourselves.
Our practices are honest and inclusive. We take individual and collective responsibility for our actions. We are accountable and invite scrutiny.
We respect and honour each person’s individual journey.
Our work comes from a place of compassion and empathy in a non-judgemental manner as we:
• witness – we are present with dying and death as a witness to mystery
• honour – we respect and value the experience and choices of each individual
• hold sacred – we hold sacred the processes we behold
• show loving kindness – we hold our clients and ourselves in a bubble of caring, support and compassion
Collaboration is fundamental to achieving our best work. Respectful, honest, open communication with appreciation for diversity enables us to accomplish together what could not be achieved alone.
Through the active pursuit of skills, knowledge, growth and innovation, we achieve our highest personal and professional potential while providing quality end-of-life care.
Our Long-Term Goals (10-years)
By 2031, we want everyone in Powell River, qathet Regional District and Tla’amin Nation to have:
• the choice of hospice care at end of life, at home or in a community-based hospice bed
• practical and emotional support when a loved one is dying or when in bereavement
• a local healthcare system and community that embraces compassionate hospice care